Cherry and Lemon Muffins
These muffins are light and delicious, with a hint of almonds that partners perfectly with the cherries.
- 200g self-raising flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 100g caster sugar
- 100g ground almonds
- grated rind of 1 lemon
- juice of ½ lemon
- 225ml milk
- 4 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 eggs
- 175g Picota cherries, pitted and cut into quarters
- 25g flaked almonds
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, 180°C fan, Gas mark 6. Line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cases.
- Place the flour, baking powder, sugar, almonds and lemon rind into a large bowl and mix.
- In a measuring jug, whisk together the lemon juice, milk, oil and eggs.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, mixing very gently so as not to over mix.
- Gently stir in the cherries.
- Spoon the mixture into the paper cases and sprinkle with the flaked almonds.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes, until lightly golden and springy to the touch.
- Remove from the tin to cool on a rack.