Picota Cherry Crumble Squares
These Picota Cherry Crumble Squares use delicious European Picota cherries. They are the perfect breakfast or snack for on the go! This is the fabulous recipe that Healthy Living James created for #PickaPicotaWeek. ⠀
*Recipe created by James Wythe
Preparation time: — minutes
Cooking time: — minutes
- 500g European Picota Cherries
- 480g oats (6 cups)
- 100g butter of choice (I used vegan)
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 5 tbsp maple syrup (or runny honey)
- 6 tbsp water
1. Firstly pit the Picota cherries (slice in half and remove the stone) ⠀
2. Now add the pitted cherries to a pot over a low heat placing the lid on to simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile create the crumble mixture by adding 320g oats (4 cups) to a blender and blend into a flour. ⠀
4. Add the oat flour to a large mixing bowl with 160g oats (2 cups) + butter + cinnamon + maple syrup + water and mix with your hands. ⠀
5. Line a square baking tin with baking paper and firmly press down 3/4 of the crumble mix into the bottom of the tray.
6. Drain the Picota cherry juice (you can drink it or save to pour over the squares) and add the cherries onto the crumble base (making sure to create a flat layer).
7. Finally crumble over the remaining oat mix on top of the cherries and bake at 200C for 20 minutes.
8. Remove from the oven, carefully lift out with the baking paper and place onto a cooling rack for 15-20 minute before slicing.