Sticky Cherry Drumsticks
The sweetness of cherries, combined with the heat of spices, makes a great marinade for chicken drumsticks. The chicken can be cooked over a barbecue or under a grill and served with a crunchy green salad (and lots of napkins for sticky fingers!).
- 400g Picota cherries, pitted
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 4 tbsp dark muscovado sugar
- A pinch of chilli flakes
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 12 chicken drumsticks
- Place the cherries, wine vinegar, sugar, spices, and garlic into a small pan. Simmer gently, stirring occasionally for 10-12 minutes, until the fruit has softened.
- Blitz with a hand blender and season to taste.
- Place the chicken drumsticks into a large shallow dish and pour over the marinade. Leave to marinate in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- When ready to cook, place the drumsticks onto a barbecue or under a grill (reserving the marinade in the dish) and cook for 12-15 minutes. Turn and baste the drumsticks every minute or too with the remaining marinade, until cooked through.
- Serve with a crunchy green salad.